For those who perform tree care work, OSHA recently released a Hazard Bulletin that focuses on hazards from falls and falling objects in the industry. The bulletin identifies the hazards that can contribute to injuries and fatalities, and describes the safety measures workers can use to stay safe.
Fortunately, there are precautions you can take to minimize hazards in this dangerous line of work.
- Always assess the worksite for fall and falling object hazards before beginning the job.
- Have a qualified arborist survey the site for possible hazards related to tree structure.
- Determine whether rigging can be used safely.
- If ladders or aerial lifts are needed, make sure workers are trained on proper use.
- Always use the proper personal protective equipment (PPE) for the job.
- If workers cannot remain at least 10 feet from power lines, contact the local utility company to de-energize and ground the lines.